Welcome to Tax Season!
Here are documents & info we need to do your 2016 taxes...
If something doesn't apply to you, just ignore it!
PERSONAL INFO & DOCS
1. copy of your 2015 tax returns (federal, state, local if applicable)
2. W-2s (your wages), 1099-INT (interest earned), 1098-E (student loan interest), 1098-T (tuition paid for college), 1099-B (investment statement), list contributions to an Roth or traditional IRA? Basically, I need any tax docs you’ve gotten in the mail for you & your spouse
3. 1098 mortgage interest statement if you own a home
4. charitable giving listed out or provide giving statements from the organization
5. list of stuff you donated to Goodwill and the like, if applicable - plus who you donated to, and dates you donated them
6. 1099-SA and 5498-SA from your HSA (health savings account)
7. was everyone in your family covered all 12 months of the year for healthcare? If not, who wasn't covered and what months were they not covered? If you had healthcare.gov coverage, please provide the Form 1095-A.
8. have any kids in 2015? If so, I'd need their SSN and full name.
9. date of birth for yourself and any dependents
10. live in your current home all year? If you moved in 2016, I need the old address and new address, and dates you lived in each place
11. any out-of-pocket expenses for work that were not reimbursed?
12. your email address and your spouses email address (for electronic signatures)
13. your (and your spouse's) driver's license info (ID number, issue date, expiration date, state of issue) - this is a *new* requirement most states has as an anti-fraud measure. You can find your state's requirements HERE.
BUSINESS-RELATED INFO & DOCS
14. 1099-MISC forms you’ve received for the business/side work
15. total income (if more than issued on 1099s) or just give me access to your Quickbooks, Xero, Wave, Freshbooks, etc...
16. list of expenses for the business (I don't need to see receipts but I can go through them if you don't want to take the time to do that) - or just give me access to your Quickbooks, Xero, Wave, Freshbooks, etc...
17. home office info - square footage of the home and the office (separately), a list of utilities paid, upgrades made (paint, curtains, flooring, decor, etc). Lived in two places? We need info on both places.
18. total home internet paid for the house and percentage used for business
19. total cell phone paid (business owner's portion) and percentage used for business
20. list of estimated/quarterly tax payments made (to whom? how much? on what date?), if applicable
21. you pay any healthcare premiums in 2016 on your own for being self-employed? If so, how much? If you had healthcare.gov coverage, please provide the Form 1095-A.
22. mileage on your car for business and total mileage driven, plus make/model of vehicle
23. for rental properties, provide a summary of income and expenses plus the number of days you used it personally, if applicable