Welcome to Tax Season!
Here are documents & info we need to do your 2017 taxes...
If something doesn't apply to you, just ignore it!
1. date of birth for yourself and any dependents - NEW CLIENTS ONLY
2. your email address and your spouses email address (for electronic signatures)
3. your (and your spouse's) driver's license info (ID number, issue date, expiration date, state of issue). Or provide a picture of each if that's easier.
4. live in your current home all year? If you moved in 2017, we need the old address and new address plus dates you lived in each place
5. marital status change in 2017?
6. have any kids in 2017? If so, we need their SSN, date of birth, and full name.
7. copy of your 2016 tax returns (federal, state, local if applicable) - NEW CLIENTS ONLY
8. any tax docs you’ve gotten in the mail or you've downloaded (for you & your spouse) -- this might include Forms W-2 (your wages), 1099-INT (interest earned), 1099-DIV (dividends), 1098-E (student loan interest), 1098-T (tuition paid for college), 1099-B (investment statement), 1099-R (retirement account income), K-1 (partnership income), 1098 (mortgage interest statement)
9. total retirement contributions made to SEP, Roth, or Traditional IRAs (if you contributed through W-2 job, no additional info needed)
10. list of charitable giving OR provide giving statements from the organization
11. list of stuff you donated to Goodwill/Salvation Army/etc, if applicable - tell us where you donated, what you donated, and dates you donated
12. have an HSA (health savings account)? Provide forms 1099-SA and 5498-SA.
13. was everyone in your family covered all 12 months of the year for healthcare? If not, who wasn't covered and what months were they not covered? If you had healthcare.gov coverage, please provide the Form 1095-A.
14. any out-of-pocket expenses for W-2 work that were not reimbursed?
15. childcare statement if you had your child(ren) in daycare or preschool (must have the provider's name, address and SSN/EIN)
BUSINESS & FREELANCE INFO
16. provide accountant access to your bookkeeping software (we work with Quickbooks, Xero, Wave, Freshbooks, and others) - ask us which email address to use for granting access
17. total income you’ve received for the business/freelance work (provide 1099-MISC forms if you received them)
18. list of expenses for the business broken down into categories, preferably (we don't need receipts)
19. home office info - square footage of the home and the office (separately), a list of utilities paid, rent paid (or if you own, you are covered with #3 above), upgrades made (paint, curtains, flooring, decor, etc). Lived in two places? We need info on both places.
20. total home internet paid for the house and percentage used for business
21. total cell phone paid (business owner's portion) and percentage used for business
22. list of estimated/quarterly tax payments you made for 2017 tax year (amount? date?)
23. health insurance premiums paid in 2017 by you or your business
24. mileage on your car for business AND total mileage driven, plus make/model of vehicle
25. what year did you start renting the property? - NEW CLIENTS ONLY
26. provide tax return from first year your rented the property - NEW CLIENTS ONLY
27. number of days you used the rental personally and number of days you rented it to others
28. total rents received (provide 1099-MISC forms if you received them - not common)
29. list of expenses for the business broken down into categories, preferably (we don't need receipts). Include form 1098 mortgage interest statement, property taxes paid, homeowner's insurance, HOA fees, and other expenses paid
30. mileage on your car used for rental purposes AND total mileage driven, plus make/model of vehicle